Wednesday 21 March 2012

History

Things have happened. That's history. Should we talk about it? It's easier to just ignore it. But we can't. We mustn't. You have to address it. How can you ignore it and allow it to happen again?
If you let it linger, it will grow. An idea can become almost anything.
But nothing is new. It has happened before and it will happen again, if we do not learn.
Can I say it? Nazi. Holocaust. Why that word? Can I not say it? It means sacrifice. Is that not okay? Is that appropriate?
Are these things that I can say? Rwanda. Vietnam. Darfur. Slavery. Colonialism. Genocide. Extremism. Hiroshima.
Can I leave it in your hands? Can I trust that it won't happen again?
No.
Because these are all too recent.
Because we have to talk about it.

FM

No comments:

Post a Comment