Friday 9 March 2012

Pholcus Phalangioides / the common crane fly

Insects. They are all, without exception, creepy, sneaky bastards with hidden agendas and too many legs.

Though I know they can't actually do anything to me. And you can tell me as many times as you like that "they're more scared of you than you are of them" - but that won't stop me contemplate moving house if I find a spider in my bath.

And I don't think that's true. That it's more scared of me. I am large, it is tiny; making me a very obvious threat. It is therefore an expectation, a daily peril in the life of any insect; the potential to be crushed by the uncaring foot of man. I personally have never seen a spider run away, all my experiences involve them coming at me, towards me at speed - behaviour not consistent with a frightened creature, but an arrogant, mocking one.

And I know they can't hurt me. I know the worst they could do is fly about in my face a bit or crawl up my ankle - not life threatening. Why the paralysing terror then?

No idea.

I cannot rationalise it. I cannot understand it or attach any logic to it, and so it is magnified, multiplied. It is my inability to find its root which makes it most terrifying.


FM

No comments:

Post a Comment